Friday, March 07, 2008

Civil Rights Movement Studied in Social Studies

My cherubs watched Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., give his "I've Got A Dream" speech on a U-Tube video clip. So, I had them design a poster that sums-up the civil rights movement. I too, have a dream, that all sixth graders realize the importance and beauty of diversity.

Finally, Pangaea!
Many groups have succeeded in completing six of the seismic powerpoints and are now learning about Alfred Wegener and the theory of Pangaea -- the super continent.

4-Sight
Mrs. Antonacci, Mrs. Pulizzi, and Mrs. Nemeth, want to do a final 4-sight testing before the PSSAs. So, Tuesday and Wednesday, will be double-academic periods. My first period will meet both first and second period on Tuesday, while my sixth period meets sixth and seventh periods on Tuesday. Second period meets first and second period on Wednesday, and 7th period meets sixth and seventh period on Wednesday.
I really like our 4-sight tests. They give us real insight on how our kiddoes are progressing. Also, I have the neatest video from National Geographic, I want to show on those two days.

Be Here on Monday
Spread the word, kids. We want you at school on Monday. Mrs. Pulizzi and Mr. Fausnaught want to thank our 6th graders for their fantastic behavior at the Frankly Ben show. No, their not planning on having me give every kid a PappaZ hug. Few, could survive that.

It Was A Good Week
Between leaving early on Monday for a doctor appointment and being out of the classroom to assist Mrs. Phillips with IEP meetings, my 6th graders have been fantastic for the substitute teachers that came in to help out. I really like this group of kids. You will be rewarded with some really neat science projects, coming up, very soon.

Girls' Night Out
Our middle school girls were invited to attend a girls-only event, tonight, at the middle school. Did you go? Wanna share your thoughts with me? I know Mrs. Smith, our school nurse, who coordinated the event, has been excited about this event. If you get a chance, next week, stop by the nurse's office to thank Mrs. Smith.

Wrapping Up Today's Blog
Good luck at Mansfield, OMers. I hope the weather cooperates with you. I know Mr. Fausnaught is going up to support you. If I did not hate driving, so much, I would go, too. I hope you OMers remember to give Mrs. Walls a gigantic hug. She is a phenomenal woman, with coordinating so many exceptional Loyalsock OM teams.

Have a great weekend, folks.

No comments: