Friday, March 28, 2008

A Glowing Anniversary

It was 29 years ago, today, that Three Mile Island nuclear powerplant, near Harrisburg, BURPED! I was an electrical engineering student at Penn State's Capital campus, at the time. I lived about a mile from the plant. I could see it from my door. One of my roommates was a water resources management student and interning at Three Mile Island. I went home for Spring Break, that weekend, and turned an interesting shade of pale as news broke of the radiation leak. I pictured glowing cows at night, mutated plants, etc. Needless to say, I never went back. I later transferred to Lycoming College and changed majors.

Let's Sing!
In science, we are conducting an experiment to determine the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. First, however, we had to learn how to click on a lighter, light a birthday candle, and lower a test tube over the candle to extinguish the flame and measure the volume of oxygen, used. I told several students it was a good time to sing Happy Birthday to anybody.

Social Studies
Plot the location of 10 volcanoes on a grid. They did great. Yesterday, those that understood the concept, taught those that still did not grasp the process. Today, all were well informed and ready for the activity.

Have a great weekend, folks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I SHOOK BILL CLINTON'S HAND!!!!!!!
-Lee Lee