Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ice? Where? OWWWW!! Oh, There!!

Okay, at 6:10 a.m. I pulled into the school parking lot. My wife calls me on the cell -- two hour delay. Great. I got lotsa work to do. One of our maintenance guys was pushing a spreader, tossing loads of ice melt on the sidewalk and driveway of the school. I follow him to the building. I get to the tech shops and SPLAT!!! Down I go. The maintenance guy got the brunt of my heel on the back of his head as my feet flew upwards. I was down. I was hurt. Wind knocked out of me and a terrible pain in my left shoulder joint. The maintenance guy had to help me up, I could not get a footing. What a nice guy. He grabs my arm and leads me to the building.

I get ready for the day. Ran off today's experiment, prepared the powerpoint presentation and gathered all the materials needed for the experiment. I'm ready to go by 8:15 a.m. -- the cell rings, again. It's the wife. "School is closed!?!?!" Arrrgghh.

Fortunately, no ice encounters until I got home. My front sidewalk is angled down toward the street and the ice was thick enough for skating. This was neat. The guy across the street works for Williamsport schools. He was in his front yard with his dog and very amused and entertained watching me bent over using my pen as an ice pick and inching my way uphill to the front gate. Using the gate as a launching pad, I careened ever so gracefully towards the front porch. I suppose it resembled a cross between a duck landing on water and a water buffalo trudging through mud.

The pain in my shoulder is where the chest meets the shoulder joint. It hurts. Something got stretched. I can imagine, tomorrow. That means, I'll have to hold the coffee cup in the right hand. Great. I may have to put the cup down to eat a doughnut. At least I can type.

I deserve a sticker, a pat on the head and a thumbs-up.

Have a great day off, kids. I got some school work to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi ya Mr. Z!!!
I hope your shoulder is alright. My dad fell too while out getting the mail. Four days ago, Ryan M. and I fell down outside the Tech-Ed shop during OM. Of course, Ryan L. just stood there laughing!!
Lee Lee

Anonymous said...

Well of course I laughed! You were even laughing, Leah. I actually stumbled a couple times too. Hope your shoulder's alright, Mr. Z.
-Ryan L.