Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Is Not A Holiday

I gave homework. Sure, I know, my students are too old to trick-or-treat, anyway. Today, students took their home water usage survey charts and converted the survey into gallons used. We used a formula of a quart for washing hands, one gallon for brushing teeth, 30 gallons per clothes washer load, etc. . . In the end, everyone used hundreds of gallons of water over the weekend. At 8 pounds a gallon, that's a lot of weight. Anyway, after that, they converted the usage to percentage and finally, made a bar graph of the whole kit-and-kaboodle. Yes, I let them use calculators.

Goodbye, Miss Springman
In a surprise move by the district, today was Miss Springman's last day. This neophyte teacher did a great job while she was with us. Miss Springman was a temporary sub, who, just happened to stay for several weeks. I have to say, for someone basically straight out of college, she did a fantastic job for us. I hope some big shot in some district reads my blog and calls her in for an interview. You will be delighted with her. This girl was asked to interview several times, which means they were very interested in her abilities. We knew about this, yesterday, but we all kept quiet. Trish held her head high and proud as she left the building, this afternoon. I wish her only the best of luck, but, she is talented and I bet she'll land a permanent teaching position by next fall.

Yoda Becomes Darth Vader Becomes Mr. Fausnaught
Mr. F. started the day as Yoda, from Star Wars. By the time he stopped into our grade-level meeting, he donned a Darth Vader mask. By lunch, it was good old Tim. What a card. We are so lucky to have him as our principal -- never a dull moment.
You should have seen the 7th grade team. The teachers dressed in costume and pranced around the lobby as students entered the building, this morning. Me, in black pants, shoes and shirt -- well, I was dressed as a frustrated parent.

Marking Period Ended, Today
I wonder how much candy I will get from students wanting a better science grade.

Have a good night, everyone.

No comments: