Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I'm attracted to magnets

LOL. Today, we started the study of polarity, using water molecules. Aside from an illustration of a molecule that looked more like the Disney logo, I used a set of floating magnets to illustrate how like charges repel and opposites attract.

We also discussed the definitions of solvent and solution, with a make-believe glass of milk and cocoa powder. Then, we talked about hardwater and softwater. I challenged my cherubs to wash their paws before lunch to determine if our water is soft or hard -- I GOT NO RESPONSES!!??!!!

My first period class asked some really neat questions. First, does hard and softwater freeze at the same rate? I don't know. We placed 50-mL each of hard and soft water into my freezer at 8:50 a.m. - at 11:05 a.m. both specimens were frozen. Okay, the next question was, do they thaw at the same rate? How about evaporation? WOW!!! Great questions. I'm going to Walmart, now, to buy this group a treat for tomorrow.

Have a great night, folks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr.Z it's Alex Weston. The water gladly is soft water.