Monday, April 21, 2008

Pause a moment for momentum

For homework over the weekend, the cherubs were to "look-up" the definition of momentum and apply it to the balloon-powered race car project. Few of the munchkins did that, and so, few understood the concept of momentum.

Well, I took 'em outside and had them run downhill shouting for them to stop at certain points. Funny, none were able to stop. The momentum of their run caused them to take a step or two or five as they tried to stop.

Earth Day
I feel so bad. Tomorrow is Earth Day and I'm having the kiddoes build Styrofoam airplanes, called, Foamie Flyers. Styrofoam and Earth Day do not mix. However, to understand one of the four forces of flight -- thrust -- this mini-project is neccessary. If it helps, I spent the weekend transplanting rhododendrums, a juniper, and several blooming daffodil clusters. Excuse me, I gotta hug a tree.

Have a great night, folks.

No comments: