Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I'm Back

Hi folks:
Took a holiday break of my own. I needed some down time to spend with the daughter. She goes back to Texas on Friday morning. She leaves from the State College airport.

Ocean Floor Quiz
Short quiz on the features of the ocean floor is slated for Friday, and then, a writing assignment for the weekend. Honestly, if the munchkins utilize classtime on Friday, they should complete the writing assignment before leaving the classroom.

Using Map Coordinates
I am wrapping-up the social studies marking period with lessons on how to use latitude and longitudinal measurements. Boy, did I have one frustrated boy, today, as he attempted to complete a 10-question test finding coordinates on a map grid. He left the test blank. He and I worked one-on-one, he took the test back to his seat and worked on it until afternoon announcements. He handed me the test, went to his locker, and left for the day. Guess what? He got a 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archaeology BASE
As you know, I am a member of our local archaeology society. At our meeting Tuesday at the museum, members of the Muncy Historical Society joined us and invited us to the dig site on Pepper Street. It is the Pennsylvania Canal project. They invited me to bring the 6th graders to participate in the digs. Excitedly, I started teaching my BASE students about archaeology. I hope they take an interest and we can perhaps visit the dig site in late April or early May.

8th Grade Teachers Are Fun
You've got to checkout Mrs. Wright's blog http://mrs-wright.blogspot.com/. Really great things going on in 8th grade. This middle school is a great place. Well, I, too, am having fun. I really love our kids. From 6th grade through high school, they are a very polite and friendly group of children.

I Miss Mrs. Fry!
Don't get me wrong, Mrs. Nemeth is a treasure and we are lucky to have this talented woman in our school, but, gee, I miss Mrs. Fry. It's funny how close you get to the people you work with. (oops, ended with a prepositition) Anyway, parents and kids, fire off an email, letter, note, postcard, get well card, anything. Let her know she is missed and loved. I have been avoiding making contact with her, fearing my loud, overzealous demeanor may be too much for her, right now. I will call her, tomorrow, during my free period.

Have a great night, folks.

No comments: