Thursday, December 20, 2007

It's My Birthday and I'll Smile if I want to.






Wow! I was overwhelmed with the greetings, today, by all the munchkins at the middle school. The sixth grade sang the birthday song to me, while 7th and 8th graders, throughout the day, wished me well. It was neat. Sixth and 7th graders even made me cards. I hung them up on my classroom door. Take a look at the picture of the cards.

CAPPA Looks Cool
I was really impressed with the video presentation made by Mr. Loni Gamble about CAPPA. Here are our sixth graders gathered in the auditorium for the presentation. Some boys chuckled and tried to be cool, others were fascinated, and oodles want to participate. They meet from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays. This Saturday is the last time until after the holidays. Ask your munchkin about the presentation.

Writing of Letters
Ouch! It appears the sixth grade, as a whole, needs more work in letter writing. It's going to be an ongoing struggle, but, I believe Mrs. Pulizzi, Mrs. Nemeth, and I, will get this skill down before the kiddoes get to 7th grade. My letter was one lesson of six on this project, so all those grades are averaged together as one project grade. If they scored well on Activities 1,2,3,4, and 5, a poor grade on Activity 6, will not affect their grade, to "awful" bad.

Awesome Hand Boiler
Lee Lee gave me a really neat hand boiler. A glass tube, with glass bulbs on either end. You hold one bulb in your hand and it shoots a green liquid up to the other bulb and water appears to be boiling. My daughter and I are now trying to figure out, how it works. It must have something to do with compression of the bulb and the ethel alcohol. Since I'm just an elementary school teacher, I'll have to pose this question to Mr. Conoway, our resident physical science expert. Thanks, Lee Lee, you've amused Krysia and myself.

Bowling Tomorrow
We go bowling, tomorrow -- return to school and eat lunch in our homerooms (some kiddoes have preordered lunch from the cafeteria, the others opted to bring a bagged lunch), then we are seeing a movie. Nice way to start off a holiday vacation. The kids are burned-out and ready for a break. I will try to get photos for tomorrow's blog.

Have a great night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Z!!
I'm glad you like the hand boiler. I guess it's just coincidence that I gave it to you on your Birthday. Mine's comin' up too!
Lee Lee