Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dear Mom and Dad

Dear Mom and Dad:
I would like to convince you to buy a water softener for our home. I have come to realize that the water we use is considered, hard water. I know this, because I have completed an experiment in which I tried to lather with hard and soft water. Soft water lathers easier and as you know, the more a soap suds,the greater the chance for the soap to lift and carry away dirt.
Through experimentation, I found that water comes in different degrees of hardness. Bottled water appears to have many minerals in it. The minerals are usually calcium and magnesium and are the reason soap does not work well in hard water. Besides bottled water, I tested tap water at school. That water has been softened through chemical action by the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority. I also tested salt (ocean) water and found it to be very soft, but only second to distilled water, which is simply water that was allowed to boil and steam. The steam was collected and condenses back into a liquid. Distilled water is the purest form of water available, and boy, is it soft. In comparing my results with other groups in my classroom, we concluded that distilled water was the softest, followed by salt (ocean) water.
I also tested the water at school and compared it to our water. Strange, I thought the water would be the same, but, apparently, our home uses unfiltered well water. Looking at a map of the United States, northcentral Pennsylvania, is hard water because of the various types of limestone and sandstone of our area. That explains why our water is hard. The school's water is relatively soft and that is because it is treated with different chemicals, primarily a sort of sodium (salt) solution.
A member of my group tested his/her water and found it to be as soft as the ocean water, I tested. A closer look revealed this student has a water softener in his/her home. The water softener works by introducing sodium (salt) into a tank and filling it with water. The ions in the salt work like a magnet attracting the calcium and magnesium in the hard water -- pulling the minerals right out of the water. The result is the water has been softened.
Although hard water is safe to drink, it is miserable for cleaning and the mineral deposits can collect inside the pipes of our dishwasher, clothes washer, water heater and even our furnace. Those same deposits shorten the life of those appliances and our clothes, which is simply adding more to the costs of running our household.
Your Loving Son, Henry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the letter Mr. Z!!!!!!!! : )
It really helps.