Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I AM BACK!!!!!!

Sorry for the long hiatus. Contractual issues, "ya" know.

Earthquakes
Currently, the sixth grade is engaged in learning about Earth's "innerds" interior. Oh yes, we doing the whole nine-yards, including seismology. So, yesterday, was a lesson on earthquakes. And, wouldn't you know it, a 7.0 quake devastates Haiti.
This unit is in the form of seven powerpoints I wrote several years ago. The link to those powerpoints is on my website.
After each powerpoint, students are given a five-question quiz pertaining solely to that powerpoint. We complete each powerpoint with accompanying worksheet, in class. Whatever I don't get done in class, is the student's responsibility to complete independently.

Edline
I strive to keep edline updated. However, understand that not all assessments are graded. I engage the children in inquiry discussions and in-class problem solving using learned materials. So, if you don't see an updated edline for upwards of a week or so, please bear that in mind.

REACH
I get 25 minutes with just a few kiddoes, each day, to review or enrich science materials. That is so difficult to do, and because of band and/or chorus do not have the luxury to get each munchkin. And, we rotate, each day, so I get one group every six days, and even then, its not all the same cherubs, due to band and/or chorus.

Social Studies
Civics in sixth grade, wow. I do Constitutional rights and amendments. Very low-key. So much so, I rarely assign homework and prefer daily, face-to-face learning with my students.

Contact Me
Got a question, concern, quip, query, comment, quandry? Fire me an email. Bear in mind, I am not the greatest at receiving criticism, however, don't let that stop you. I am a big boy and if you have any concerns or criticisms, please share them with me. If I don't know, I can't act on it.

Have a great night, folks.

No comments: